Summary of organization/program
La Maison des Jeunes de Pierrefonds (Pierrefonds Youth Center) is a non-profit organization catering to youth ages 12 to 18. We offer educational and recreational activities, and activities encouraging inter-cultural exchange. We also offer ‘Reflexions’, our discussion group pertaining to diverse subjects important to the youth.
Youth aged 12-18 years old
The Maison des Jeunes first opened it’s doors in autumn of 1981. It was originally a project in association with the Pierrefonds C.L.S.C., one worker in a small office. From here, the project grew into what we now know as the Maison des Jeunes.
After putting together an animation team, the center received it’s patent letters making it an official corporation under the name of Maison des Jeunes de Roxboro Inc. in February of 1984. The center then became a non-profit organization with it’s own Administrative Council and started on it’s long road leading it to become a resource center for youth aged 12 to 17.
Then, in the summer of 1987, it’s financial situation and the sacrifices of the animation team permitted the organization to entertain the idea of buying a property. Three months later, the Maison des Jeunes relocated and became the Maison des Jeunes de Pierrefonds Inc.
It was in the beginning of spring 1990 that the Maison des Jeunes started the paperwork to obtain a charity organization number. On June 7th, 1990, the Maison des Jeunes de Pierrefonds was registered as a charity organization to both provincial and federeal governments.
In 1985, the Maison des Jeunes obtained a property in St. Etienne de Bolton with 8 other Maison des Jeunes and named it Jeunesse 4 Saisons. This property is much more than a simple property as it encompasses the same values that the centre does.
- Established: 1981
Dominant Media Forms
- To operate a Maison des Jeunes for 12 to 18 year olds with the goal of helping youth living and/or going to be living with affective, social or relational problems.
- To organize with the youth, sessions, evenings and activities on themes that are problematic to the youth such as: sexuality, alcoholism, etc.
- To intervene in the form of an attentive ear and group work aiming at 12 to 18 year olds.
- To offer the youth information and references.
- To organize fund raisers in order to fund the above mentioned goals.
Statement of Principles
To bring the youth to become active, critical and responsible through the participation in and the organization of activities of a cultural, social, educational and recreational nature.
We offer to the youth a safe and pleasant environment where they can meet each other. The main objective of La Maison des Jeunes de Pierrefonds is to get the youth active and involved, and to enstill in them a sense of responsability by participating in and organizing various activities. Furthermore, our mandate allows us to intervene concerning many social questions pertaining to drugs, sexuality, health and nutrition, the “gang” phenomenon, and violence.
Samples of work
Funding and Sponsors:
- Table Concertation Jeunesse de l’Ouest de l’Ile de Montréal
- Régie Regionale de la Santé et des Services Sociaux
- The city of Pierrefonds
- Dorval Strathmore Committee
- Station 3
- Station 4
- Pierrefonds Cultural Center
- Pierrefonds Community Center
- CLSC Pierrefonds
- The Administrative Council
- The Youth Council
- Fondation MGR Moreau
- Emploi Carrière Été
- The MDJ Staff
- L’Industrielle Alliance
- Regroupement des Maisons des Jeunes du Québec
- Table de quartier du Nord-Ouest de l’Ile de Montréal
- West Island Community Shares
- Fabrique St-Luc
- Merck Frosst
- The West Island Community Resource Center
- Blockbuster Video
- F.K. Morrow Foundation
- Commission Scolaire Marguerite-Bougeoys
- Commission Scolaire Lester B. Pearson