Summary of organization/program
W2 is a community arts centre unlike anything in Canada, offering quality arts opportunities for the Downtown Eastside (DTES) and Vancouver residents through a range of programs, resources and activities.
W2 provides a vibrant complementary focal point in the Woodwards’ redevelopment, and a flagship project in the City’s revitalization of the DTES.
- Residents of the DTES & Vancouver
- Youth & Children
- Emerging & Established Media Artists
- Emerging & Established Writers
- Marginalized residents facing multiple barriers
W2 was initiated in 2004, and has been growing with the support of a Board of Directors and staff team towards our goal of opening Canada’s first crossmedia centre.
In the six years of leadup since our conception in 2004, W2 has been incubated at Gallery Gachet, operated out of several temporary offices, and buildings on the 100 block of West Hastings, including the Flack Block.
Dominant Media Forms
multi media presentations
Delivery of multiple and concurrent programming that meets the schedules of the individual partners while at the same time addressing the overall/collective programming that will be developed in the space.
- To provide opportunities for residents of the Downtown Eastside to experience the arts as audience, for personal growth and expression, as aspiring and practicing artists, and for personal and collective voice for advocacy on issues affecting the community.
- To provide an indigenous means for locally-led sustainable economic and social renewal in collaboration with local resident, community and business organizations.
- To build bridges with people and organizations within and beyond the Downtown Eastside that strengthens understanding and appreciation for the people of this community and their accomplishments.
Statement of Principles
Samples of work