Summary of organization/program
My Circle Youth Immigrant Program is a division of the Immigrant Services Society (ISS) of British Columbia. The ISS aim to play a leading role in creating opportunities for immigrants to build a future in Canada. There was no further information about the program found on the ISS website.
- Any immigrant or refugee youth between the ages of 14 to 24.
- Umbrella Organization: Immigrant Services Society
Dominant Media Forms
Support immigrant and refugee youth who are facing challenges integrating into their new lives in Canada
Here is a paper about Participatory film making that was developed based on the work of the program:
Statement of Principles
- Provides 80 hours of peer facilitating and community leadership training designed to support immigrant and refugee youth who are facing challenges integrating into their new lives in Canada
- Supports youth facilitators to go to partnering organizations ( school, community centres) to deliver youth driven/led support for those
- Offer presentations, plays and discussion forums for immigrant youth to practice their language skills and feel empowered to access new opportunities.
Samples of work
- My Circle GETOUT! Action Team
- The Multicultural Youth Circle Action Team (MY Circle YAT) is a youth-driven initiative that brings together alumni from the Immigrant Service Society’s MY Circle training program. My Circle YAT youth are interested in promoting the rights of immigrant and refugee youth by creating a stronger voice for them in society, educating other youth about the issues newcomer youth face and capitalizing on their talents and strengths in order to find ways of engaging in their communities.
- City of Vancouver
- United Way of the Lower Mainland
- Sharon Martin Community Health Trust Fund
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Vancouver Foundation
- Ministry of Housing and Social Development