Summary of organization/program
4REAL is a community of individuals from around the world who are passionate about creating social change through action, art, and culture.
- Global online community
- Youth (15-30)
- 4Real School is for grades 6-12 only
- Umbrella Organization: Yes (Direct Media Current)
- 4REAL informs, inspires and engages people passionate about art, culture and change. There are three branches of this organization including: 4REAL Productions, a tv series; 4REAL.com, a global online community; and 4REAL School, educational materials.
- Sol Guy and Josh Thome co-founded the Vancouver-based company Direct Current Media (4Real is one of its projects) which produces film, TV, music and websites to raise awareness of critical issues and progress economic and social change.
- 4REAL is a DCM project that began as a documentary television series and has expanded to include an online global community (4REAL.com), educational materials (4REAL School), the 4REAL Foundation and special events.
Dominant Media Forms
- Creating social change through action, art, and culture.
Statement of Principles
- 4Real builds mutually beneficial partnerships with artists and community leaders and works directly with them to creatively share their stories, spread their messages and inspire movement towards a just and sustainable society.
- Through this online community, young adults can join 4REAL and raise awareness about social issues they feel strongly about, some of which will be filmed on, produced, and aired on national television.
Samples of work
The lead 4REAL production is a TV series called 4REAL that takes celebrity guests on adventures around the world to connect with young leaders who, under extreme circumstances, are effecting real change on some of the most pressing issues of our time. Celebrity guests for Season One are Cameron Diaz, Mos Def, Joaquin Phoenix, Eva Mendes, Casey Affleck, K’NAAN, M.I.A., and Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Beyond the exposure that 4REAL provides, the young leaders featured are partners in the show, with 50 percent of the proceeds going directly to their initiatives.
4REAL has aired globally on National Geographic Channels International in 165 countries and 34 languages, as well as on The CW channel in the U.S. and on CTV and MTV in Canada.
4REAL.com is a dynamic online community for people around the world who are passionate about art, culture and social change. The site provides individuals, causes and businesses effective ways to make a difference. 4REAL.com’s mission is to become the largest and most effective online social network for change. The site has members hailing from more than 60 countries.
4REAL School is a dynamic set of teaching guides and DVDs based on each episode of 4REAL. Using thought-provoking, hands-on lessons, multimedia and music, 4REAL School engages students in grades 6-12 on issues such as poverty, human rights, and the environment.