Summary of organization/program
The Transformative Communities Project (formerly The Surrey Urban Youth Project) is an arts-based, youth driven, empowerment program providing training in anti-oppression, facilitation, peer-support, conflict transformation, nonviolent communication, public speaking, and community organizing for youth in Surrey.
- Youth 14 and older with a particular focus on engaging (im)migrant, refugee, Indigenous and “at-risk” communities in Surrey.
- 14-20, Interested in hip-hop, poetry, photography, dance, theatre, film, visual arts, and traditional cultural practices
- Participation is free
Since 2006, SUYP has filled a crucial gap in youth programming within Surrey.n They have now become the Transformative Communities Project
Dominant Media Forms
- support participants in developing whole and healthy lives to become active leaders in their communities
- Strengthen the resiliency, connectedness and life-skills of youth participants
- Support the exploration of creative expression; create opportunities for the advancement of youth-voice;
- Provide youth with tools to take action on creating change in their communities;
- Engage the broader community on social issues affecting the lives of young people
Statement of Principles
Our approach to youth engagement centres on the use of creative expression and urban arts including break dance, spoken word, visual arts, emceeing, video production, photography and more. We use the arts as a tool to explore and take action on personal lived experiences and systemic injustices affecting local communities. Through creativity and expression, we create opportunities for youth and communities in Surrey to strengthen their voices and skills, and develop possibilities for personal and social change. All of our programs are facilitated by community workers who are practicing artists, experienced in using the arts as a tool for social change. Participation in our programs is free.
Samples of work
- Bring youth’s voice into the communityHelp youth to learn conflict transformation and peer facilitation skills
- Youth-led movement for social justice and inclusive communities
- Take action on issues affecting your community
- Create a community performance