Summary of organization/program
Since 1999, Planet in Focus has been producing Canada’s preeminent international environmental film and video festival.Our mission is to encourage the creation and exhibition of a broad spectrum of films and videos exploring environmental themes that celebrate, question and establish varied ways of viewing the state of our world.
- International – they host local, national and international events and tours.They accept submissions from both Canadian and International filmmakers of all ages.
- Film festival- submissions are from all around the world and their screenings and tours also go global (submissions open to all)
- Youth and education program – ages 12 to 18.
- Children and youth program – ages 3 -13
- Established: 1999
- Planet in Focus is an incorporated not-for-profit organization founded in 1999 by Festival Director Mark Haslam. The organization’s activities originally centred around an annual festival yet over the past ten years PIF has developed into a year round cultural institution devoted to environmental artistic expression, its creation, exhibition, dissemination as well as providing educational programming through environmental media, film and video.
Currently we are celebrating our 10th year of operations. Since 2005, Planet in Focus has been led by Artistic Director & CEO Candida Paltiel. She has overseen the expansion of the organizations year round operations on the national and international level.
In 2008 Planet in Focus was awarded the Green Toronto Award for its outstanding achievements in promoting environmental awareness and in 2007 it was nominated for the Green Toronto Awards for outstanding leadership.
Planet in Focus has also overseen the establishment of Green Screen Toronto, a major industry association seeking to foster green production standards in Toronto and across the Province of Ontario.
We are affiliated with the Planet in Focus Foundation, a registered charitable organization currently Chaired by Dr. Fergal Nolan.
Planet in Focus is currently run by a volunteer Board of Directors Chaired by Sujata Berry.
Our Honorary Patron is the renowned scientist, environmentalist and broadcaster, Dr. David Suzuki.
Dominant Media Forms
- Mission is to encourage the creation and exhibition of a broad spectrum of films and videos exploring environmental themes that celebrate, question and establish varied ways of viewing the state of our world.
- Youth are central to our programming mandate and we have unique ways of inspiring a new generation of informed artists and audiences. (done trough their youth and education program)
Statement of Principles